How to Change a Flat Tyre
How do I change a flat tyre?
Everything You Need to Know About Changing Your Car’s Tyres
Although tyre punctures can happen at the most inconvenient times, you can swiftly continue your journey with the right tools and a good understanding of the process.
Below, we’ve covered all of the essential equipment you’ll need, safety precautions, and the step-by-step process for changing your car’s tyre. Whether you're a new driver or just need a quick refresher, our guide on how to change a tyre will provide you with the necessary know-how to handle the task.
Equipment you’ll need:
Locking wheel nut key (if your car has locking wheel nuts fitted)
Your car’s handbook, for instruction on where to attach the jack
How to change a flat tyre:
- Park your car on a level surface and turn off the engine. Make sure to put the handbrake on.
- Place wheel chocks in front of and behind the wheel diagonally opposite the flat tyre, to stop the car from rolling.
- Loosen the lug nuts on the flat tyre using the lug wrench – don’t remove the completely, but make them loose enough so that you can turn them by hand.
- Jack up the car so that the flat tyre is off the ground – check your car’s handbook to see where your car’s dedicated jacking points are.
- Remove the lug nuts and take off the flat tyre.
- Put the spare tyre on the car and hand-tighten the lug nuts.
- Lower the car and remove the jack.
- Tighten the lug nuts using the lug wrench.
- Stow the flat tyre and the jack away in the boot.
When changing a flat tyre, be sure to keep these safety tips in mind:
Always wear gloves to protect your hands.
Be careful when using the jack, as it can be heavy and dangerous.
Make sure the car is in park, and the handbrake is engaged.
Use wheel chocks to prevent the car from rolling.
Be aware of your surroundings and be careful of any traffic.
If you are not comfortable changing a flat tyre, call roadside assistance.
Don’t try to change your tyre if your safety is at risk, or you don’t have the right tools.
Keep the essential tools in your car, and make sure you’re familiar with the steps above.
If you need help with your tyres we offer complimentary tyre safety checks and wheel alignment checks, along with a tyre price match promise to try and make buying tyres for your car as affordable as possible. Browse everything you need to know about tyres at Lloyd Motor Group: